People can loan tools to North End Makerspace if they wish. This is an alternative to donating tools.
- North End Makerspace is responsible for the full cost of repair or replacement if: the item is damaged due to an action that occurred after being brought into North End Makers’ possession, or is stolen from North End Makerspace.
- Once the item is returned to the lender, North End Makers is no longer responsible for replacement or repair.
- North End Makers agrees to notify the lender promptly if the equipment is damaged or lost.
- For the protection of the loaned equipment, each Item will have on file a complete Equipment Loan Agreement Form to act as a contract between North End Makerspace and the tool owner.
Tool Identification #
- A tool on loan will be labeled as such and will include contact information for the owner.
- The tool will also have a link to the wiki outlining care, use, precautions, and training options for use of the tool.
Use of Item #
- North End Makerspace is responsible for proper use of the Equipment and is responsible for training anyone using the Equipment on the proper use of the Equipment.
- The item will not leave the North End Makerspace location at any time, unless back to the lender.
- Tools loaned to the makerspace will follow the same Machine Access policies as other tools, defined by the Steward presiding over that particular area.
- The loaner of the tool will work with the area steward to determine appropriate policies.
- If a tool you loan to North End Makerspace harms any person or property while under operation of North End Makerspace, you will not be held responsible.
Delivery and Return of Equipment #
- Tools may be retrieved by the owner after notifying the Area Steward and/or Facilities Committee prior to retrieval. This will ensure the North End Makerspace’s inventory remains up to date and prevent the item being reported as lost/stolen.
- North End Makerspace has limited space and may at any time request that you take back your tool. If such a request is made you have 30 days to remove your tool before it is subject to disposal.
Maintenance and Repair #
- North End Makerspace will ensure loaned tools are maintained in approximately the same or better condition than they were received in.
- The loaner of the tool will determine who is allowed to perform maintenance or make repairs on the tool. This must be specified before the loan can be accepted.
North End Makerspace Administration #
- Every item on loan will need to have a complete Equipment Loan Agreement Form signed by the appropriate Area Steward.
- Agreement forms will be kept on file by the Inventory and Facilities Committee.
- North End Makerspace keeps a list of tools on loan on this google spreadsheet.
This policy is based on a model shown successful at Bloominglabs, a hackerspace in Bloomington, Indiana.